MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Ruby needs a full service...

Ruby needs a full service... (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Ruby needs a full service... (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Ruby needs a full service...

OK

So Ianhg1971 says the bike was and is in tip-top condition

but

Bikerchick and guy who worked on it says it needed a lot of work and stuff like filter and plugs looked old.

Somewhere between these opposing views lies the truth...I am not bothered (not my bike not my friends)...maybe your mate had it serviced, but whoever did it, did not actually do the work that was paid for! Not the first time I have seen this and if we all agree with this theory, everyone saves face...so shall we agree this is the actual scernario?

Love and peace

Update Reply
finbarred @ 06/10/2009 23:06  

I also saw Rose's bike at Squires a few weeks back and must confirm outwardly the bike is spotless,normally i'd take it for granted the previous owner would keep it all well serviced and tuned IMO.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 06/10/2009 23:14  

Screw and nut adjustment just like the older oil cool GSXR's...always going out of adjustment so you really have to check them every 3000 miles. Have a square adjuster that you turn in/out, which needs a special tool to adjust them properly but people have used pliers, which round the adjusted after a while.

Might explain the noise and lackluster performance. But to be fair that style of engine was very noisy from new, but really tough engines.

Update Reply
finbarred @ 06/10/2009 23:20  

Hold up peeps! I know Ian and I know Rose and I know Ruby. Firstly, I don't believe for a second that Ian would source a lemon for Rose and I know that she doesn't believe this either. Secondly, Rose is quite rightly very proud of her first proper bike (not that Mini-V wasn't ) and being the sort of lady she is, she wants to know that it's right. And I don't blame her. Whenever I've bought a second hand bike, the first thing I've done is given it a full service regardless of possible history. Thirdly, Ruby is a nice bike. Everyone agrees with this, especially Rose. I suggest the only thing we need to worry about is making sure it stays that way for the lady.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/10/2009 07:28  

Well said Geoff Can we say Amen now? lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/10/2009 07:52  

Secondly, Rose is quite rightly very proud of her first proper bike (not that Mini-V wasn't ) Oi! You should know better! First *big* bike, not first proper bike. Not wishing to pour more fuel on this debate but outward appearances don't tell the full story. My car looks in very good condition (or did until some scroates keyed it twice recently), it's over 5 years old with 40k on the clock, so below average mileage yet I've only every serviced it ONCE! Also my bike, 6 years old, 11k on the clock and in very good condition to look at. Only did 300 miles between MOTs in the last year. Service book said it was serviced at 6k in 2005 - was this its last service...dunno. As Geoff has mentioned above, he wanted to change everything because we didn't know when it was last done. The oil in my bike was old, thick and black. We made the mistake of refilling with good oil which turned very dark again straight away due to residue, we should have flushed it first really so dirty oil doesn't always mean old oil. It's still on its original plugs though as has now done 23k.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 07/10/2009 07:57  

Sorry Kwak! *slaps wrist*

Update Reply
Roachy @ 07/10/2009 07:59  

Oh dear I have not read this thread in a while...

Ian there is no slur on you as you had not done any of the maintenance.

WN you was right the carbs needed balancing..luckily when Simon checked it this week the valve clearances were ok..

Think Geoff and Roachy hit it square on the head as I am very particular about my vehicles..they have to be in tip top condition as my life depends on it...my girls only have one parent now...I cannot afford to be complacent about maintenance.. I never ever trust any maintenance history...and as Geoff so rightly put it...it is best to get it done yourself to ensure you have a starting point..and then you know FOR SURE what and what hasnt been done to her..

Needless to say shes now running amazingly well and sounds sweet as a nut..Simon brought her back the other day and this was the first opportunity to get her cleaned up and took out for a spin...shes a beauty...and NOW shes in tip top condition!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 08/10/2009 20:48  

Ignore me then!!!

Update Reply
finbarred @ 09/10/2009 00:13  

finbarred you bin phoobared mate i thought u had a point !!!!

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/10/2009 15:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email