MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

life is too short for a zumo, please discuss

life is too short for a zumo, please discuss (3) - Forums [Biker Match] life is too short for a zumo, please discuss (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

life is too short for a zumo, please discuss

I know this won't be any concilation but i upgraded to the latest maps the other day. just downloaded and saved download to my hard drive. they sent the product key in an e-mail and job done. when i asked for dvd the last time. it did take a while. can't remember how long tho.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 02/06/2009 17:53  

disc should be in the post and ive ordered the scala earpiece so dare i say it it looks promising fingers crossed

Update Reply
julie j @ 03/06/2009 12:47  

Oooh.. Scala Headsets... now then... Which one? Hope you went for the Q2? As mentioned to others, and as seen on rides, both SV_Shell and I have Scala Rider Q2 headsets, and have spent many a happy hour being nagged erm... getting directions, taking phone calls, and chatting to my passenger. The only criticisms are date is the voice activation is not sensitive enough, but a press of the button works a treat and the radio is a bugger for long rides, as it doesn't follow the RDS signals round the country Best moment so far... Shell disappearing out of sight to find a parking space in a busy French market place, and staying in voice contact. However, the "There's one here" doesn't help when she's out of sight lol

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 03/06/2009 12:57  

cant remember which one, it was a recommendation and ive not got any one to chat too so its just to listen to music and get directions from zumo

Update Reply
julie j @ 03/06/2009 13:13  

its the cardo scala hands free bluetooth, tell me know if its pants and i will cancel it pronto

Update Reply
julie j @ 03/06/2009 13:15  

Awwwwww Get yourself a nice 2Gb (not tried any bigger) SD Card, and stick al your favourite MP3s on it. Stick the Zumo on Shuffle, and away you go Unfortunately the back seat nag... sorry... darling other half overrides the music

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 03/06/2009 13:17  

I had the scala rider Julie (not the Q2, so don't know about this) and I didn't like it. The bluetooth between this and the zumo kept dropping off and it was too quiet to hear properly with earplugs in. Then when I learnt that although having two speakers, the scala is only mono (what's that about nowadays??) I sent it back and ordered a starcom. That was very good and when it did start to play up a couple of years later I upgraded again and got an autocom. Never looked back; stereo sound, better volume (although not as good as the starcom) and far better functionality than a scala. Now I can answer phone calls via bluetooth with or without the zumo in place (which is great for work) and people don't even know I'm on the bike (including once at 100mph!). I can play music either through the zumo or through an mp3 player under the seat or in the tankbag (in stereo) and if Roachy is on the back, whenever we chat it reduces the volume of the music rather than cutting it out. Plus with the addition of a couple of Kenwood radios, when Roachy is on her own bike, we can happily communicate with each other even if we're several miles apart. And buying it for £100 off ebay, it's cheaper than a scala rider as well! If you're going to do it, do it properly I say.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/06/2009 14:34  

You've got pretty much the same setup as me geoff. I even plug my dab radio into the autocom so get planet rock on the move.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 03/06/2009 19:55  

I like the Autocom set up too. Can't comment on the Scala, didn't get a chance to try it. One thing I like about having an Autocom headset is that I can connect to anyone with an Autocom Duo kit but I assume you'd have that option with anyone with a Scala headset too? How does that work with the Scala, do you have to pair to each other? Can you go bike to bike with other Scala users? If you only want to listen to the zumo and music/phone through the zumo then the Scala (or similar) will probably be just the ticket - if you don't have a volume issue.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 03/06/2009 20:11  

just a question...not being a boring so and so...but is it wise to laisten to music whilst riding..is this set up road legal...cause i alwaya want to listen to g n r , evanesence , metallica whilst i am riding.....hence i just listen to myself sing at the moment !!!!!!!!1

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2009 20:30  

sorry for the typing all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2009 20:30  

both my lids are wired for sound cd player in pocket been listnin while ridin for years no probs

Update Reply
crowcat @ 06/06/2009 19:11  

The Scala is easily paired to another Scala (or other Bluetooth headset) and can be paired to 2 others at the same time. It has Bluetooth that does bike to bike no problem (we tested this on Satuday on Shell's first solo ride out). Shell also paired hers to her instructor whilst out with the training school. Given the minimalistic size of the scala, and the lack of trailing cables etc, *for me* it's the best option. On the original note of this thread, Julie, I purchased the latest Zumo Maps, and Speed camera updates for my Zumo 550, and didn't get asked for a serial number at any point during the download or install. Have you registered your Zumo on the Garmin Web Site?

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 08/06/2009 20:43  

Just to add to Ians post ... whilst in France we were looking for a parking space for the bike & I went across the other side of the market & found one & Ian was still able to hear me talking to him. I also like not being ''''hard wired '''' to everything ... and mine has the additional plug space for an MP3 player/ipod. Also getting back to post .. I just ordered the Zumo 660 ... keep fingers crossed for me pls

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/06/2009 21:22  

are they a ear peice or something that fits in ya helmet, is there a web site that i can see some on

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2009 01:14  

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0013V3Q56/msd...sdiesel-21 You can have it hooked to your sat nav, phone & another rider & be using the built in radio all at the same time (if needed tho no idea why you would need all at once) I have seen them online for about £90 for single sets & £140 for doubles also you can buy the mic bit on its own if you have the unit for £30

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/06/2009 11:51  

yes mr P the zumo is registered and no the flaming disc has not arrived yet. wish i had not had the mount installed cos i would send it back.worst customer service ever!

Update Reply
julie j @ 09/06/2009 12:23  

Hmmm... Ok Julie, so you've got a registered Zumo 550, have paid for the latest map update, and can't get it to work? I'm tempted to compare my download with yours, and try updating yours with my software if we've downloaded the same thing. Whaddaya think?

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 09/06/2009 13:01  

thanks shell

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2009 13:27  

your welcome ian .. there is 2 types .. the normal & the Q2 ... the normal is really just for person to person close range ... Q2 is what Ian & I have , bike to bike with a 500meter range

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/06/2009 14:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email