MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

955i Speed Triple starting problems.

955i Speed Triple starting problems. - Forums [Biker Match] 955i Speed Triple starting problems. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

955i Speed Triple starting problems.

Right, it's been doing it for the last 8 months or more, but sometimes when I come to start the bike....... It doesnt. Which is very annoying as everytime I use it for anything other than going to work, I worry I'm not going to get back!

So, it's got a new battery, a mechanic has looked it over and checked the charging system, which is fine, the battery is being charged and the levels read what they should when charging.

When it come to start the bike, sometimes it's fires up straight away, sometimes it just turns over without firing?
I then swear at it a bit, flick the kill switch on and off a few times, put the stand up and down a few times try and start it, then sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.

Today I tried to bump start it after 10 mins of swearing and flicking, but is hard to bump on my own so gave up.
Then after pushing it back, putting on side stand, and pressing the start button, it fired up.

I am baffled, I cannot undersatnd why it is so tempremental.

Seriously thinking of trading it, but don't want to as had it ages and love it to bits.

Update Reply
Triplesurf @ 24/06/2012 10:58  

I know absolutely nowt about bikes, so don't shoot me for trying lol BUT it's not the electrics is it? Trying to start some bikes with the side stand down renders the bike useless, I found that out on a lesson lol Now you can ignore that and wait for someone who does know lol Seriously tho I sympathise with you cos my bike (not got it anymore) broke down more than it went. It kept me fit and the breakdown company in business. I hope you get it sorted soon. Keep us informed, yea?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/06/2012 11:11  

The clutch has to be in to start it, the side stand thing is just my paranoia passed over from previous bikes.

That's the thing, there is absolutley nothing wrong with the bike! other than being a bugger to start sometimes, it runs perfectly, everythign works as it should and it's always been professionally fully serviced.

After my son it is the most well looked after thing on the planet :)

Update Reply
Triplesurf @ 24/06/2012 11:19  

You should call the bike 'Christine' lol. Sounds a bit spooky to me, now if ya will go swearing at her, she's probably just sulking. Sweet talk her and if she goes ok you'll know...to get rid quick! lol *hums tune of 'Twilight Zone'*

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/06/2012 11:39  

had start problem with my bandit and it was starter switch just took it off and cleaned and sprayed with gt40 (as told by dealer) and touch wood been ok since cheaper than £102 for new switch

Update Reply
shelleygirl @ 24/06/2012 11:43  

had problems with sprint st bolts had come loose in side stand switch cleaned switch refitted never had probs since

Update Reply
baza 2458 @ 24/06/2012 12:25  

I've just got back from putting it away, funniest thing happened, mate came cycling past, who I've not seen for years, he had the same year bike as mine, told him the problem and he's said "Ohhh yes it'll be the cluctch switch or side stand switch", "would put my money on it"....

LOL, fate, karma....... twilight zone (Sandi).

So Baza, looks like your right

:)

Won't be able to check it till next weekend now, but we'll see what happens.

Update Reply
Triplesurf @ 24/06/2012 12:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email