MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Somerfield: We’re intimidated by motorcyclists in helmets

Somerfield: We’re intimidated by motorcyclists in helmets  (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Somerfield: We’re intimidated by motorcyclists in helmets  (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Somerfield: We’re intimidated by motorcyclists in helmets

I have one of those helmets that is easy to take on and off.... *shrugs shoulders*

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 29/10/2009 20:58  

I was asked fairly recently to remove my helmet at a petrol station. I filled up, walked into the shop, stood patiently in the queue and it was only when I got to the front of the queue, pulled out my debit card and told the girl which pump that she told me she wouldn't serve me whilst I was wearing my helmet. Quickly remembering something I had once read in a bike magazine I responded, "Sorry, but I don't want to take my helmet off. My bike is now full with your fuel and I have witnesses who can see I am not refusing to pay. Your move." (Or words to that effect.) A few seconds of looking at me blankly and the young lady said, "Put your card in the machine please" lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/10/2009 21:34  

Although this does remind me of an incident when I was somewhere in my early twenties. A group of us had been to Tan Hill one Sunday on our bikes along with a couple who turned up in their car. After having dinner we discussed the fact it was such a lovely day and a shame to just go home. So we decided to go to a friend's caravan in Flamborough. However, by the time we had gone all the way back to his house near Barnsley, collected the caravan key and then ridden/drove back out to Flamborough it was needless to say very, very late. The stupidity of youth! With all of the local takeaways now closed and with none of us having eaten since lunch at Tan Hill, we were all very hungry and a bit desperate. Then someone had the bright idea of going to the 24hr garage in Bridlington. So we all piled into the car belonging to Simon Percival (nicknamed Percy) and drove out to Bridlington getting there at about two in the morning. It was then that we learnt that it had changed to a night kiosk only with the door being locked at around eleven. The young lady inside explained it had only been like this for a week. But I pleaded and begged and explained how hungry we all were and that we wanted to chose our food for ourselves. At which point she very reluctantly agreed and released the lock on the door. Going straight in I jokingly said "Ok Percy, you get the food, I'll get the till." The young lady immediately went totally white! I noticed straight away and quickly smiled and told her I was only joking and that I was sorry to scare her. I had been surprised at how scared she clearly was and how quickly she had become scared; but not when she explained the reasoning around the night kiosk. It appeared that only the week before some men had come into the shop and robbed it. And she had been the one serving!!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/10/2009 21:49  

Just out of interest, what are peoples reasons for NOT removing their helmets? I know Cataraptor says it is a bit of a kerfuffle cos he wears glasses.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 29/10/2009 21:52  

Convenience for me. I'm a glasses wearer too and mine have ended up on the floor on numerous occasions (haven't perfected helmet on/off without putting them down yet). Plus getting my neck warmer tucked in just so again. I even once nipped into Boots in the White Rose Shopping Centre with my lid on....perhaps that was taking it a bit far though! I haven't been asked to remove mine yet but I guess if I was, I'd feel a bit annoyed at being inconvenienced when I'm stood there offering payment and would probably grumble and ask if it was really necessary when I'm trying to pay them and if they insisted, I'd remove it and make a point of never going there again and informing them so.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 29/10/2009 22:06  

Darling, you once walked all the way around Asda whilst we did a shop with your helmet on! I perhaps wouldn't mind, but you'd taken your jacket off!! As far as me is concerned TC, I don't take my helmet off because I do over 20,000 miles a year on my bike so to make matters easier, I've had my helmet surgically attached. (I once read about a guy who had his helmet surgically re-attached but that may be something slightly different!)

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/10/2009 22:15  

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that! Ermmmm, it messes my hair up? Ok ok...I'll give in and admit it - I'm lazy!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 29/10/2009 22:21  

You wanted reasons for objecting to remove helmets, TC. Here are mine.

My main objection to removing my helmet is the principle of it. It seems that 'society' is trying to have it both ways. We are required to wear them when operating a motorcycle but when we stop for petrol, some jobsworths expect us to take them off.

Another reason for objection is that it's OK for those who cover their heads for religious reasons but not if you're a motorcyclist.

It's also pointless, since anyone who's going to blag the place isn't going to wait in the queue with a cash or card, they'll be in, over the counter and away with the takings.

And finally, as I said before, it's inconvenient at best, especially if you wear glasses and often impractical unless you have an empty top box if these jobsworths expect you to remove your helmet before filling up.

In banks and post offices, I can understand and remove my helmet but in service stations, it's unacceptable.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 29/10/2009 22:42  

I can't really agree with your principle but then I don't have the background in lobbying for rider's groups that you have so our points of reference are different (as they should be for a good discussion!). To provide a counterview, I always remove my helmet as a matter of courtesy. I also remove my sunglasses when I am talking to somebody and always kneel down if I am talking to someone who is unable to stand up. (And I always open the car door and shop doors for my girlfriend too!) It only takes me a few seconds to undo my chinstrap, remove my helmet and place it on top of my speedo. Petrol stations are at a high risk from robbery - large turnover of cash with the till within easy reach over the counter, possiby in a rural location and with the get-away vehicle only a few steps outside of the door. However, saying that I do think it is petty minded to have to remove your helmet on the forecourt whilst filling up. With the low quality of most CCTV cameras you are probably just as recognisable with it still on!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 29/10/2009 23:53  

* still pondering

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 30/10/2009 00:09  

..your silence says it all, BJ

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 30/10/2009 00:17  

It would be far easier if i could take parts of each of you and make a new one gorgeousness would reign supreme

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 30/10/2009 00:20  

Yeah... I get that a lot! ghosty - looks like we are going to have to keep our helmets on in future!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 30/10/2009 00:35  

Motto of the A A? 'Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder'

Update Reply
Sandi @ 30/10/2009 01:06  

I have been asked few times. Usually just say no cant be arsed. Last time I said fine. They wernt very impressed as I still had my balaclava on. It only has eye slots (throw back from days in army not bank robbing) I can understand in any other kind of shop but Bikes need petrol so petrol stations should be used to us coming in. Its been 30 odd years since we been forced to wear helmets

Update Reply
micksaway @ 30/10/2009 03:19  

Motto of the AA? Whats the motto of the RAC then?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2009 03:56  

Is the RAC for people addicted to Rum and Coke?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 30/10/2009 07:38  

Aaaah my favorite sundowner,bring it on TeeCee you can have a straight coke thru a straw as i think you don't drink lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 30/10/2009 07:56  

He heh - cheers, exc! *slurp* (and well done for remembering!)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 30/10/2009 08:12  

3 Guesses whats in my glass in my rally profile pic??? lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 30/10/2009 08:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email